Have you ever heard of "hard water"? What about "soft water"? Have you wondered what the difference is, or which water is safer for you to drink?
Which one is best for your home's plumbing system?
Today, we are going to cover the differences between hard and soft water, and the potential issues that come with both water types.
What is Hard Water?
Hard water contains a significant quantity of dissolved minerals, such as calcium and magnesium. Which it's not harmful for you or your family members, hard water is not healthy for the health of your home's system. Hard water may lead to inefficiencies or damage to containers and pipes.
So what effects does hard water actually have on you and your home?
- Creates calcium and limescale stains on your faucets and shower heads
- Makes dish soap less effective, leading to residue on perfectly clean dishes that just came out of the dishwasher
- Negates the effects of most laundry detergent, leaving clumped up ‘oil spots’ on clean clothes even before they make it into the dryer.
- Can even leave your hair looking dull or even unwashed
If you are concerned about the quality of your water, call a Donnelly's plumbing expert to install a water softener. When water is softened, metal cations are exchanged for sodium ions which will:
- Give you better tasting water immediately
- No more scale buildup in your water heater, toilets, water closets, pipes, and shower
- Softer skin and hair
- Your appliances will be able to run at their peak's efficiency and last longer
What is Soft Water?
Soft water contains low concentrations of ions such as calcium and magnesium. Soft water can occur naturally where water gathers near calcium-poor rocks, or it can be deliberately softened by implementing lime softeners or ion-exchange resins. Both naturally occurring soft water and manually softened water are safe for consumption.
Benefits of Soft Water:
- Tasks can be performed more efficiently with it
- Soap will lather better and items will be left cleaner
- Glasses will sparkle and hair will look healthy
- Help keep your shower curtain scum-free
- Clothes and skin are left softer
- Appliances don't have to work as hard — this prolongs the life of your washing machine, dish washer, and hot water heater
- Lower energy bills
Improve Your Water Instantly!
For fast, professional, expert water softener repair, service or installation, call Donnelly’s today at 215-855-2014 or click the banner below to schedule your plumbing service online.